Prof. Joshua Olugbenga Oni was born in Abeokuta, on Tuesday, 12th July, 1960. His parents were Papa James Adelaja Oni (1920-2016) and Madam Beatrice Oni (1927-2017).
He was educated at the Saint James’ African Church Primary School, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta (1966-1972); MacJob School of Commerce, Onikolobo, Abeokuta (1973-1974); Nawair-Ud-Deen Secondary Commercial School, Oke-ljeun, Abeokuta (1976-1978); Ansar-Ud-Deen Teacher Training College, Ota (1978-1981); Ogun State University [now Olabisi Onabanjo University], Ago-lwoye (1982-1986); and the University of Ibadan, Ibadan (1987-1992).
He holds Primary School Leaving Certificate (1972), Secondary Modern School Leaving Certificate (1977), Secondary Modern (Commercial) School Leaving Certificate (1978), Teachers’ Grade Two Certificate (1981), General Certificate of Education (1981), Bachelor of Arts (Education) (1986), Master of Education (Educational Management) [Educational Systems Administration] (1988); and Doctor of Philosophy (Educational Management) [Educational Systems Administration] (1992).
Prof. Joshua Oni taught at Methodist Primary School, Igbogila, Ogun State, and Brilliant Era Commercial College, Umuahia, Abia State, during 1981/82 and 1986/87 sessions, respectively.
He joined the services of the Ogun State University (now Olabisi Onabanjo University) in October 1987. He started as a Graduate Assistant and rose through the ranks to become Professor in 2013.
Prof. Oni has served as:
Coordinator, Centre for Sandwich Programmes (CESAP), Faculty of Education, between June 1998 and September 1999;
Pioneer head, Department of Educational Management and Business Education (now Department of Educational Management and Business Studies), from March 2005 to February 2007.
• Department of Educational Administration, University of Lagos;
• Department of Educational Management, University of Ibadan.
External Assessor for the purpose of promotion to professorial cadre:
• National Open University, Lagos,
• Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijebu-Ode.
He is a member, Alumni Association, Olabisi Onananjo University and University of Ibadan.
Prof. Joshua 0. Oni is in Educational Management. His research focuses on Educational Systems Administration. The contribution of his various publications is essentially on the application of the principles, theories and techniques of administration so as to empower the administrators of the education system with the appropriate skills and by extension enhance efficiency and effectiveness of the institutional operations. He has more than forty-six (46) publications.
Membership Of Professional Bodies:
• Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN).
• Nigerian Association of Educational Administration and Planning (NAEAP).
• Nigerian Association of Professional Educators (NAPE).
• Nigerian Association of Educationists for National Development (NAEND)
• Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)
• History of Education Society of Nigeria (HESN).
• Association of Sociologists of Education of Nigeria (ASEN)
• The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD)
(1) Long Service Award in Recognition of Contribution to the Development of Olabisi Onabanjo
(2) Award for Distinguished and Selfless Services rendered to the Centre for Sandwich
Programmes, Ogun State University, Ago-lwoye, Between 1998 and 1999 while serving as
the Coordinator, Faculty of Education.
(3) Best graduating student, Arts/Education Programme, Ogun State University, 1985/86
(4) Best graduating student, Faculty of Education, Ogun State University, 1985/86 academic
(5) Service Award in Appreciation and Recognition of Service as Session Discussant for the
2008 Conference of the International Academy of Business and Public Administration
Disciplines held at Orlando, Florida, United States of America. (January 3-6, 2008)
Prof. Joshua Olugbenga Oni regularly attends conferences at home and abroad.
He is married with children.