Come Friday, May 10, 2019 history will be made at Adeola Odutola Hall, Ijebu-Ode where the Department of Political Science, Olabisi Onabanjo University and the Board of Trustees of Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona Professorial Chair in Governance will hold the 3rd Oba Sikiru Adetona Lecture Series.
This year’s lecture will have the Professorial Chair, Prof. Ayodele Olukotun addressing the audience on “Grassroots Governance: The soft Underbelly of Nigeria’s Political Architecture” while a panel of discussants that includes the presidential candidate of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) at the last election, Prof. Kingsley Moghalu and the only female presidential candidate in the 2015 election, Prof. Remi Sonaiya will share their perspectives on the subject.
Disclosing this in his Palace at Ijebu-Ode, the donor of the Professorial Chair, the Awujale of Ijebu Land, Oba (Dr.) Sikiru Adetona reaffirmed his commitment to see Nigeria take giant strides in good governance stemming from quality education, research, mentorship and community engagement.
“Education has a pivotal role to play in the quality of governance. That was the reason behind lending my little support. I want to take this opportunity to reiterate my desire to help Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye to continue a line of production of leaders moulded for good governance.” Oba Adetona said.
In his own remarks, the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof. Ganiyu Olatunji Olatunde thanked the Awujale and the Board of Trustees of the Professorial Chair for the sustenance of the lecture series. He described the annual lecture as a legacy that would continue to drive greatness in not just the University but the society. The Vice-Chancellor stated that the University was very grateful to Oba Adetona’s generous spirit and his considerable investment in OOU will go a long way in promoting quality education and entrenching culture of research in our University and improving governance in our society.
Prof. Olatunde said, “Since the inception of this initiative, the University has improved on her research activities in the quest for excellence and we are optimistic that we will continue to thrive in good governance, corporate and political leadership to fertilize the students, staff and indeed the entire University community with a view to raising and enhancing good governance champions on the Nigerian community.
According to the Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Professorial Chair, Mr. Olatunji Ayanlaja, SAN the professorial chair will keep striving for the enthronement of transparency and good governance in Nigeria. He added that the lecture will further awaken public consciousness on the need for all hands to be on deck to achieve the noble objective of the Awujale in endowing the chair.
It would be recalled that a 500million Naira endowment fund was instituted in March 2016 by the Awujale for the Professorial Chair in Governance presently housed in the Department of Political Science, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye. An Inaugural Lecture entitled “Issues and Challenges of Governance in Nigeria” was delivered by Prof. Akin Mabogunje at the launching of the endowment in March, 2016 in Lagos. To commemorate the 83rd birthday of the donor, the Occupier of the Professorial Chair, Prof. Ayodele Olukotun delivered the maiden annual lecture in May 10, 2017 under the topic, “Governance and the Media in an Emergent Democracy: A study of the Role, Record and
Changing Profile of the Nigerian Media 1999-2017” while the second annual lecture was also given by Prof. Ayo Olukotun on May 10, 2018 to also commemorate the 84th birthday of the donor with the topic “Civil Society and Governance in Nigeria’s Evolving Democracy 1999-2018.
This year’s lecture is expected to be graced by distinguished scholars, government functionaries, royal fathers, captains of industries and eminent Nigerians.
- Management organises 2018 Christmas Carol and end of Year Party for Staff School and Children of OOUWA Creche
- Awujale Professorial Chair Building Complex set for completion in March, 2019
- Awujale Of Ijebuland Laid The Foundation Of Professorial Chair In Governance Building Complex At OOU, Ago-Iwoye.
- 2ND Annual Lecture of Awujale Professorial Chair in Governance Held in Grand Style
- Professor Mohammed Afolabi Oladoja Delivers 87th OOU Inaugural Lecture
- Chartered Institute of Management Accounting (CIMA) Plans Endowment of Professorial Chair for OOU
- Local Government Structure in Nigeria remains ineffectual- Mabogunje
- Olabisi Onabanjo University Law Graduate Emerges The Overall Best Male Student At Law School
- YFC Organises Training Workshop for Students Peer Educators
- National Universities Commission (NUC) Accreditation Teams Visit OOU For Cooperative And Rural Development And Anatomy Programmes
- Professor Kayode Bodunrin Olurin Delivers 86th OOU Inaugural Lecture